Senior Care Unit
Aging brings both joys and challenges, and the Senior Care Unit at Mille Lacs Health System is here to help with the obstacles that arise. We provide optimum healthcare for seniors age 55 and older who are experiencing mental health difficulties.
Mental health challenges include:
- Sadness and depression
- Being overly anxious or nervous
- Aggressive or agitated behavior
- Severe self-neglect
- Having hallucinations or delusions
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Losing the will to live
We can also help with:
- Behavioral disturbances associated with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia
- Managing medications and stabilizing the individual
- Evaluating cognitive disorders in the elderly, as well as performing psychiatric evaluation
We offer short-term inpatient care where we can help individuals in a relaxed, nurturing environment. Each patient is cared for by our interdisciplinary team specifically skilled in the acute mental health needs of the geriatric population.
Headed by our board-certified psychiatrist and Medical Director Dr. William Orr, your team includes consulting physicians, 24 hour nursing staff, social services, activity therapies, and your loved ones.
How is a patient accepted into the unit?
Referrals are considered for possible admission 24/7 by reviewing referral information and speaking to the individual and responsible caregivers. Upon acceptance for admission, an in-depth assessment is made to review causes and treatments. Then an individual plan for on-going care is created by the team. A typical stay with us is from one week to just under 3 weeks.
Contact the unit for more information at 320-532-2750.